With chef Vu Anh Duc from Sheraton Hanoi Hotel
Let’s try Vietnamese “Phở” with a foreign addition. Cheers!
Phở with Hitachi Wagyu beef
Ingredients: serves 10:
2kg fresh rice noodle
1 Hitachi Wagyu beef sirloin
3kg beef thigh bone
0.1kg spring onion
0.02lit fish sauce
0.01kg flat coriander
0.01kg star anise
Sugar, salt to taste
Garlic, vinegar to taste
– Use the beef thigh bone to make stock. Clean bones with cold water and roast in oven until brown and the tallow has gone.
– Clean bones again with water, place in a large pot with cold water. Cook at a high heat until boiling. Reduce heat and skim off any scum.
– Toast the ginger and shallots until blackened, clean with water and put in the beef stock with cinnamon, cardamom, star anise. Then simmer gently for a hour and add fish sauce, salt and a little bit of sugar to taste.
– Slice ginger, chop onions, coriander, flat coriander, local herbs.
– Chop garlic, chili and soak in vinegar for 1 hour before serving.
– Blanch the rice noodles in hot water at around 70-80C and put into a bowl.
– Slice Hitachi Wagyu beef into slivers, marinate with fish sauce and put on top of noodles. Then pour over the boiling broth and serve with herbs, garlic vinegar spiked with fish sauce.
You can sample the dish at Sheraton Hanoi Hotel, K5 Nghi Tàm, 11 Xuân Diệu St, Tây Hồ Dist, Hà Nội. Tel: +(84)4 3719 9000. Website: sheraton.com/hanoi, sheratonhanoi.com.